Friday, April 24, 2009

Rainy Day Scones



For the longest time when I was living in Toronto I wanted to be in Asia.  And now that I'm in Asia I'm missing home.  Especially on a cool rainy day like this, I miss being able to duck into a Second Cup and sit there for hours nursing a latte, a biscotti and a good book.  But since I'm not in Canada - rather, I'm apartment-bound, just ran out of eggs, sitting in my pajamas - I thought I'd make some scones for a little comfort food.  It also happens to be one of the few breakfast foods that don't require eggs, and went well with our last jar of homemade strawberry jam (that we were supposed to be saving for our friends, but decided was too good to resist).

This is a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com, my new addiction, with a few modifications.

Easy Scones Recipe
(adapted from Brunch Scones, on allrecipes.com)

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
5 tbsp butter (salted or unsalted)
4 tbsp sugar
2/3 cup partially skimmed milk

Mix together flour and bp (I don't have a sifter, so I just stirred it thoroughly with a fork).  Rub in butter and sugar to form a fine crumble.  Add milk, mix gently.  Do not overmix.

Pat into circles on greased baking sheet (I used a non-stick silicone sheet).  Let stand for 15 min.  Brush with milk, bake at 400F 12-15 min until golden.

You can add all sorts of things...I enjoy adding a handful of cranberries in the dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment